Monday, November 5, 2012

Other Influences ' Our friends the Acklands were advancing in years, and Auntie Maud wanted to be near her sister who lived in Canada. Therefore, we packed them up and helped them move to Canada. It was an adventure. They took their beloved dog Tippy (Tippins) … I had known that dog since I had known the Acklands and saying it was like saying good bye to a set of grandparents. We took our little dog along, if I remember correctly. Think of it … an elderly couple … a little kid … two dogs … and my poor parents who were responsible for the whole operation. There was one additional thing. Uncle Harry had to have his tea. These were English people, and so we had tea at the proper times. It was a long journey, but not the final farewell; for the next twenty years, we would make the trek to Canada to check on them, until Jesus took them to Heaven. After all, they were Daddy’s spiritual parents. One of my deepest regrets is that I was not astute enough to ask questions about the Welsh revival and life on the primitive mission field. God puts people in our path for us to minister to, but also to deepen our walk with Him. I remember the tea times at their home. They gave me my own special bunny cup to drink from whenever we gathered at their house for tea. When they moved back to Canada, they let me keep it. Not very far from our home was small, but growing Bible College by the name of Piedmont. Different professors used do supply preaching at our church. One of the men was the Dr. John Reinert. His wife also assisted as organist at our church. I remember how kind he was to a little kid and how sad I was when he died. It seemed sudden to me. It was the first time I ever attended a funeral home visitation. Another professor from those early years was Carl Bollinger, who taught Bible and Science at the college. He stopped by the house on an errand one night when I was playing with my Easy Bake Oven. It was electrically run, but powered mainly by a light bulb. Mr. Bollinger was fascinated with the whole process. Years later when I enrolled at Piedmont, he remembered my little oven. Men who were important enough to teach college but took the time to make a little girl feel like she mattered communicated volumes. Hmm, come to think of it, that is what Jesus the Rabbi of the New Testament did and we are to follow in his steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment